The sixth grade is in the process of completing Final Drafts of memoirs and self portrait assignments. As I was reading through a new book that was given to me, "What I Know About Writing", by M.E. Kerr I was struck by the contrast that he pointed out between novel length memoir and 'slice of life' short story memoirs. While novel length memoirs are structured stories with a beginning, middle and end, these 'slice of life' stories provide you with a snapshot study of the writer, caught in a few moments of time, leaving you to ponder how that moment of time affects them.
Your sixth graders have been writing about just a slice of their lives. Each slice is significant, each unique, each lined with thoughtfulness, emotion and growth. These sixth grade students are close to accomplishing the task of writing well-written, intriguing, depthful "slice of life" stories. In some ways, they will tell you about how their chosen topic, or moment of time has affected them but in other ways you will be left to ponder.
Last week, I displayed some quotes from memoir introductions, here are some quotes from the bodies (stories told in many different styles) of the memoir essays. Next week when you are here, you will read concluding thoughts and reflections.
"Live life to the fullest because life is too precious. Even though I don't have my loved ones with me, I know that they are my angels."-Carla
"We came down to this place that had a rusty old water fountain and a shaded area where we sat down. We started down again and this time there were steeper roads, less people and twisting turns that led us deeper into the Fiery Abyss..."-Jonathan
"This year for the season of Lent, I have been really eager to let go of something important to me. This was the first year that I took Lent seriously... I gave up X Box... I actually had time to go outside and appreciate what God has made, God didn't make X Box, he made fresh air. "- Adam
"I remember the time I went across the monkey bars when I was three, in a park with my grandma cheering me on. In past attempts, I ended up with calluses all over my hands... this time, my grandma said only encouraging words and I landed firmly on the next platform."-Rhiannon
"My mother has always taught me and guided me with the Bible. When I ask for help on a math problem, my mom doesn't bring out a math book, she brings out the Bible... I don't think that I would be half the person I am today without her guidance."-Domenica
"When I learned to ride my bike for the first time, my Aunt Lydia never gave up on me... she kept trying until I mastered the bike. I guess all that time paid off." -Nicole
"We soon arrived at Caneel Bay and I had adrenaline running through my veins. It was STEAMING outside and I could not bear having jeans on. As we got out of the boat, some people gave us wet towels with some cold water. It felts so good to have the cold water refresh me!"- Tomas
"If you think about it in the long term aspect, this memoir is like a small introduction to a twenty page essay...I wonder what will happen in it and how going to MSS will affect my life. I wonder what high school and college I will go to..."-Brendan
No comments:
Post a Comment